Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Night Before the Rest of My Life

I’ve been struggling to write a blog post for the last few days.  My difficulty does not stem from a lack of words, but rather an overabundance. So many different things are spinning around in my head, and I can’t seem to wrangle them into any sort of coherent form.  Being OCD – rather than write in a disorganized way, I’ve chosen lately not to write at all.
Here I am, 9 hours from surgery, and my thoughts are as jumbled as ever.  I no longer have the luxury of putting a post off for another day.  So, ready or not, here it comes.
I’m excited. For the last 162 days, I have lived with the reality that I have cancer in my body.  I’m thrilled at the prospect of waking up after surgery tomorrow to a new reality. I know this new reality will be difficult. I will be in the hospital for 5-7 days; I’ll be in pain; I’ll be adjusting to living with an ileostomy; and I’ll have four months of chemotherapy on the horizon. I’m ok with all of this, because with a little luck and the skill of a good surgeon, cancer will no longer live inside of me.
I’m scared.  I know that I am in excellent hands at Hopkins, and this procedure is not particularly risky, but still it was hard to kiss my kids and tuck them in tonight.  We read an extra story together, and when they got out of bed for more hugs and cuddles, my heart melted. My greatest fear is leaving them or causing them any sort of heartache.
I’m grateful.  I have discovered in the last five months how truly blessed I am with family and friends who love and support me.  As I type this, my mother-in-law is asleep downstairs.  She arrived this afternoon, with Gregg’s dad behind her toting a bed in his truck. She’ll be here with us for the next week, taking care of Addie and Gehrig and giving me peace of mind during my hospital stay.  My sister arrived 5 minutes ago.  She’ll stay through the weekend and then return in a week to help me, when mom has to go home. My friends and neighbors here in Maryland have arranged to get Addie to ballet class and Gehrig to soccer practice. When they tell me to call any time for anything, I know their words are not hollow.  I’ve lost count of the calls and messages I’ve received this week.  Each one has buoyed my spirits and touched my heart.
I’m concerned.  Tomorrow will be a very difficult day for the people I love the most.  My part is actually the easiest one.  I’ll be unconscious for the whole thing.  Gregg, mom, my sister and everyone else has to wait it out the hard way.  I pray that the day goes quickly for everyone, with a minimum of anxiety for all. 
On a lighter note, I’m hungry. Forty-eight hours of nothing but clear liquids and Jell-o is a special kind of torture, especially for someone who turns to food for comfort in times of stress.  I have a feeling that it will be a while before I get to chew anything again, though with the narcotics I’ll be on after surgery, I doubt I’ll care. Right now, however, I’m ready to chew my arm off.
That’s all I’ve got for now.  I hope to be writing again in a week or so.  Love to all and thanks for all the wonderful support during my journey.

15 comments:

  1. Dawn,

    As a cancer 'thriver' myself, I'm thinking good thoughts your way.

    Maybe, because of an odd twist of fate, I have a small understanding of what lies ahead of you. First, I'm sorry for what may be a rocky road ahead. But more than that, the good news is you seem to have a fantastic family foundation to help you.

    In some ways, you're right - you may have the better deal tomorrow since you will have the advantage of some terrific drugs to get you through. Coming from me - embrace that. You'll earn the right to that sooner than later.

    But your family has made the decision to "huddle up" and give you support. From personal experience I can tell you that learning to just say "thank you" will be one of the best things you can do. You have people who want to help - let them. Your body will be doing it's own job taking care of you.

    I hope you don't mind the 'internet intrusion' but I've spoken to many 'thrivers' and I believe you'll be on the other side of this soon.

    Best thing I can tell you - if you don't mind - "one foot in front of the other." It's over when it's over. And it's a day by day climb. You'll get there. Believe.

    No fear.

    Thinking good thoughts your way.

    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn. I've been out of the loop for some time now -- medical issues of my own have prompted me to "insulate." I'm better now...and by God's grace, you will be, too. You were my saving angel at a time of great darkness in my life. I now send all the angels my meager prayers can summon to your side. Bless you and your family, and be well my friend. I love you.

    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dawn-
    As a mother, I can not even imagine the agony you must be feeling parting onto your journey into the unknown, but my wish for you is that when you awake tomorrow on the first day of your new life, I hope that it is beautiful.
    DiAnne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn,

    I know God will be with you on this 'new journey.' You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. May his light shine upon you and give you comfort and peace. I love and miss you. Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn,
    I had colorectal cancer in 1982 at the age of 36. There were some rough times, and while my health isn't perfect today, it is GOOD -- as is life in general. I wish you good health and lots of happiness in your next 30-plus years.
    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn and I went to middle school together. She was determined to be a writer. Another classmate posted for a Christmas (Hanukkah) miracle. There is a crew praying for your recovery and your family. Howell remembers you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dawn and family~ I am so sorry things are not going as well as you had hoped. I pray for peace for you and your family, as well as acceptance of what may come. I also pray for your recovery and the miracle that may bring this to be. God bless your and your family.
    A fellow twin mom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I pray that you beat this...

    MJJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. It just breaks my heart knowing that nothing has turned out like it should have. I pray for peace for your family- may they feel your presence and know you walk with them always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dawn, I wish I would have gotten the opportunity to know you. You have an incredible family and I know they will miss you here on earth, but that you will be watching over them every day. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found this blog through a Facebook friend who is related to Gregg. I read every word. Dawn was a brilliant writer, and I believe it would have been an honor to know her. She was funny and honest and I felt like I was reading the words of a friend, and someone who has the same hopes and fears as the rest of us.

    My heart broke when reading about her kids and her husband and Dawn's hopes for the future. Life is not fair, and cancer is pure hell. But Dawn faced it all with dignity and bravery, and I admire her.

    Please know that strangers around the world are praying for Gregg and their kids. Rest in peace, sweet angel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barry, Sally, Colin, and ConorJanuary 5, 2012 at 1:22 PM

    As they often do, families fall out of touch. Sometimes for a lifetime.
    We regret not having shared our lives with you over the years. Please know that your illness brought our families back together. Rest in peace. Sorry we missed you. We will keep Gregg, Addie, and Gherig, and you in our thoughts... and vow to keep in touch with your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dawn,

    You words are amazing and I know you are a light right now for all of us. You are with us and we all feel you. What a writer you were and such an inspiration. What a blessing you are to Gregg and family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I came across this blog the other day and read it all. I had no idea she had already passed away. I felt so heartsick for her and her family, not even knowing them! I thought the cancer had not metastasized... She must have passed away about two months after her surgery. I feel a desire to know what went wrong, to know her better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Alicia,
      I am Dawn's aunt. I tried to respond a month or so ago but I'm not sure how to respond to a blog and have you receive it. My e-mail is lkvk@verizon.net and I would love to respond to your querie. I did read portions of your blog and you seem like a lovely person.
      Hoping to hear from you.
      Dawn's Aunt Lana

      Delete